A Floaty Maxi Skirt

This is a synthetic satin from Spotlight from their range of retro prints.  It is the most static-creating fabric I have ever worked with and it requires a good dose of anti-static spray to stop it from sucking itself to my legs like a child terrified of being separated from its mother.  It also was a pain to sew with and I had a fair few issues with seams puckering when sewing.  It is SO synthetic it actually “squeaks” when ironed.

Skirts Skirts

Anyhow, like most “difficult” fabrics this was not a bad thing as I learnt a few tricks on how to sew this type of fabric.  Once I changed to a 60/8 sharp microtex needle and also learnt how to hold the fabric taunt while feeding through the machine (without stretching or pulling, a bit of a technique to learn but very handy once I got the “feel” right) I was able to sew it up without too many more issues.

I ended up putting in a simple elastic waistband to avoid having a puckered zipper.  I did install a zipper and a waistband but couldn’t get it looking right so after the umpteenth attempt I just unpicked zipper and waistband, cut a couple of inches off so I could pull it over my hips and then serged on an elastic waistband.  Then I worked out how to sew without puckering after I did this.  Bit of a shame as the fitted waisted did look rather nice. Anyhow, its ok as I will probably only ever wear it with the style of top I’m wearing with it here.

The skirt itself is a self drafted half circle with a ruffle made up of 4 fabric widths attached to the bottom.  If I had enough fabric I would have used it as the resulting ruffle is not very gathered.  I used french seams for the ruffle but everything else is just machine stitched and then serged.  The bottom of the ruffle is a rolled hem.  So easy (except for how long it took me to gather what felt like MILES of fabric for the ruffle).

So this is essentially a super easy skirt that should have taken a couple of hours max but ended up taking much MUCH longer, but all for a good cause (self-education and experience).

Once I fixed the freakish amount of static cling, this is now a real floaty dreamy skirt to wear that goes rather nicely with this machine-crochet lace top that I refashioned a while ago out of a beach cover up – I actually used sewing cotton in the exact shade of the fabric and a teeny tiny hook to recrochet the shoulder area.  One of these days I’ll make another like this when I find suitable lace (nope, not making this from scratch in crochet, it would take me years) as it works so well with the vintage/romantic/feminine look that I love.